Thursday, August 9, 2007

Snake Oil Lectures and Dinner

I attended my first lecture dinner the other night at one of the finest steakhouses in the city. The lecture was on Asthma, but my main focus was on the free steak that I didn't have to pay for, cook and then clean up. I was the youngest free loader by at least fifteen years, but that did not stop me from enjoying a few mixed drinks and chatting about worldly events before the festivities. The first course was delivered and a waiter asked permission to place my napkin. I normally would decline the request, however the previous drinks had dulled my senses and the next thing I knew a guy had his hands in my lap. I guess luxury has its costs. The first course of the meal went without any interruptions, until the speaker began his informal lecture. And, it was at this moment that I realized I was going to be silent for the rest of the evening. While everyone else was taking part in the discussion I was making notes and looking stuff up. I had spent the morning reading the necessary chapter in harrisons', but at dinner I had only a vague idea what they were talking about. Anyways, the rest of meal came and went and I enjoyed every free bite of the one hundred dollar meal I was given.